“Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.”
Hebrews 12:14 NKJV
I. Unhealthy pattern?
A. Approaching the altar. (Matthew 5:21-26).
What did Jesus say to do before this act of worship?
- Prayer. (Matthew 6:9-15).
What did Jesus emphasize about this act of worship?
- The Lord’s Supper. (I Corinthians 11:17-32).
What did Paul say to do before this act of worship?
D. The pattern is bitterness and lack of forgiveness in worship.
(Matthew 15:8-11 + John 4:23-24).
II. Root of bitterness.
- What is the root of bitterness? (James 4:1-10)
Can you be bitter without being self-centered?
- What happens when I am not the focus? (II Samuel 16:5-14)
When we abide in Christ, there’s no room for bitterness. (Proverbs 16:7)
- Healthy worship starts where self-centeredness ends (Psalm 19:14)
III. Called to Edify.
- Can I do and say whatever I want? (I Corinthians 6:1-14)
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.
- We are called to peace. (Romans 12:9-21)
We cannot live by reaction; we are called to actions of love.
C. Word of God speak – EPHESIANS 4:25-5:21